The Prescotian Webzine

.........
The School War Memorial [From Prescot Grammar School, 1544-1944]
,,,,,,,
The War Memorial (1914-1918) affixed to the wall of the north corridor was unveiled and dedicated on October 12th, 1924, in the presence of a large and representative gathering which included the Chairman and Members of Prescot Urban District Council, Governors of the School, the Headmaster and Staff, and many Old Boys and friends.

After a preliminary service presided over by Councillor J. P. Preston, the unveiling ceremony was performed by S. M. Green, Esq., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., who said: "In grateful recognition of the sacrifice they made, 1 now unveil this memorial in hallowed remembrance of the Old Boys of Prescot Grammar School who laid down their lives in the Great War."

The tablet, which is of oak, and measures about four feet square, was designed by the late Mr. W. B. Fletcher, a former pupil of the School. It bears the inscription : " P.G.S. 19141918. To the ever-loving memory of Old Boys of this School who made the supreme sacrifice."

 
     
The names appearing thereon read: N. Beardmore, G. E. Broad, J. M. Clements, J. Copple, R. A. France, T. R. Gleave, B. C. Green, A. W. Johnson, W. T. Lowe, T. P. Prescott, T. S. Preston, W. H. Range, D. F. Roberts, J. Stead, J. Tyrer, H. R. Vercoe, A.Watkinson, W.Welsby, H.G.Whitaker and H. E. Wood.

The unveiling ceremony was followed by a service of dedication, conducted by the Vicar of Prescot, Canon J. P. W. Lovett.


Contact Us | Legal Stuff